Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day 2013

Celebrating with a Mother's Day Tea at Bug's Preschool
I'm so far behind so many posts (aka memories) that I need to log in.  We have been so blessed and every weekend has been awesome for different reasons.  I'm trying my best to keep up, but this class I'm taking has really eaten up every spare minute of my day. No lie. And really, the class isn't hard, it's just a lot. And really, I'm probably over doing it, because that's just what I do.

Mother's Day for me is a time for me to reflect on being a mama and truly appreciating the three awesome gifts God has given me.  Without them, I would be a completely and totally different person and I don't know if I would have liked that person very much. Honestly, I think I would be working, working, working and coming home 8pm every night. I think Hubby and I would travel a heck of a lot more, but I think in some ways we'd be a little bored. Seriously, you cannot get bored taking care of three charismatic, mischievous, ever changing little beings. I know that I would not have picked up crocheting and making blankets for loved ones.  I would probably be much fatter, would never have attempted a half-marathon, and I would be watching The Biggest Loser on television while eating my giant bowl of ice cream with all the toppings. And I'm pretty sure that I'd be a little grumpier in general.

My Mom and I and my 3 Blessings
Being a mother has changed me for the better. I am more patient. I have learned that I have to go with the flow or I'll get washed away with worrying about the details. I have learned that I can love with all of my heart and feel like I can keep on loving because my heart keeps on growing. I am more forgiving.  Having children really changes your perspective on love and forgiveness.  I am more fun. I laugh, I giggle, I smell stinky toes, chase naked bottoms (yes, I mean my childrens'!), blow bubbles, tickle and kiss bellies (yes, again my childrens'!), and look at the world through the eyes of a child. I have strengthened my faith, because I cannot imagine that I am alone in this world or that our Creator above is not looking down on me giving me a hand when I need it and yes, there are days when I do need it! I have found my strength and I have found my weakness.  I am somebody's whole world and and each of them are mine. I dance in the kitchen and sing off key to my babies. There are days I have got it together and there are days I am broken. Through it all I am loved and I am blessed.

My Mom and I Mother's Day 2013
Mother's Day this year I was able to sleep in until 6:30am. Really, that is sleeping in for this 4am Mama who tries to get in her run at 5am. I was able to study before the kids awoke (seriously, my class has been stressing me out so that was good!), I was given breakfast in bed before our big brunch at 10am, my folks joined us for a yummy brunch made by my fabulous husband. I don't think I washed a dish all day!  I received a new pair of running shoes (YES!), beautiful roses, the sweetest card from sweet Boogie with a letter attached, a card from Buggy where she signed her name, and sweet scribbles from Bananas.  I napped (amen!) and we went out for sushi (yum!).  We ended with family movie night and snuggles on the couch. It was the best and it gets better every year. I am so, so blessed.

My family attended Mass the night before Mother's Day so that we could celebrate my niece's first communion. Mr. Bananas was in rare form and the kids were antsy or non-participatory.  I murmured in their ear often trying to encourage them each to sit up, participate, or stay in their seat.  As we were leaving I turned to pick up our bags and faced the three nuns who sat behind us. I gave an inward groan as I'm sure they saw the shenanigans and my lack of ability to "control" it. I was just happy the kids were mostly quiet during Mass.  However, I received the best compliment I have ever received as a mother. One of the nuns remarked that Mr. Bananas was full of character to which I said, "Why, yes, yes he is" and she said that I must be a very patient mother because she never saw the stress on my face and saw nothing but patience.  She said that I never let on that I was frustrated or irritated although she could imagine I might be.  She said that I was a very good mother.  Being a teacher herself she knows a thing or two about patience and children.  I was really, really touched. Being patient and letting things roll off my back has been something that I am continuously working on. I don't like the yelling, frustrated, irritated mother that I am known to be now and again. I really, really want to be patient, loving, and not let the little things irritate me. So I felt her compliment was an affirmation of my work towards bettering myself.

The 3 Reasons Why I am a Better Woman
I am thankful for the babies I have.  I would not be the woman I am today without them. They have taught me so much and I still learn more and more every day. I aspire to be like the Proverbs 31 woman. Day, by day, I hope to walk in such a way that I am an example to my children.  It's not an easy walk, but one that is honorable and blessed.

Proverbs 30:28-30
Her children arise and call her blessed;
    her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women do noble things,
    but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
    but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.


No comments:

Post a Comment