Monday, July 2, 2012

Displaced

Last Friday our region had a wicked storm. I had never seen anything like. The rain came pouring down in buckets and the the thunder and lightening rivaled each other in intensity, coming one right after the other for at least an hour.  We lost power late Friday night. We've been in our home for 5 years and have lost power briefly a few times, but never for very long. Even when we had snowmaggedon a couple of years ago, we were the lucky few who never lost power.

Knowing that the temperatures would climb into the upper 90s over the next few days, Hubby and I started making contingency plans about what we could do with the kids to keep them cool and out of our soon to be hot house. Fortunately, my father called early in the day to find our status. We live in the same community as my parents, just in another part of the development. They were able to keep their power and invited us to come over. It was a real blessing to be able to have somewhere to go. I think if it had just been Hubby and me, we would have stuck it out. But with 3 little ones, that really wasn't an option. I have found that having kids really does help you prioritize your situation.  I am grateful that we had somewhere cool to go to stay out of the heat, that there was no damage to our home, and that we were all healthy and safe. We were also able to save a lot of our food by bringing it over to my parents house and storing it in their extra refrigerator.

We were driving through the neighborhood the day after the storm and I was shocked to see how much destruction was left. So many trees had limbs and treetops snapped off as if they were no bigger than toothpicks. While there was a lot of debris, there seemed to be minimal destruction to property. Praise the Lord!  We were fortunate to be back in our home the next day.

My kids loved having an impromptu sleepover with Lolo and Lola and loved that Hubby and I were there as a part of the adventure. While we were displaced from our home for a short time, it was a true blessing for us to be able to take refuge in their home and greatly appreciated.


I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety. 
 (Psalm 4:8)


No comments:

Post a Comment