Monday, May 21, 2012

No Weekend PR

This past weekend I was supposed to run in the local 5-miler. My brother-in-law was going to run it with me. I had been training for over 2 months complete with early morning runs 2-3 times a week. I was running faster and cutting seconds off my time. I was so ready for this...

...but I didn't run it. About 3-4 weeks ago I came home limping after one of my runs. I was in so much pain I had tears in my eyes and I limped for the next 2-3 days. I thought it was plantar fasciitis and treated it as such.  I took time off from running. I iced it, I took over the counter meds, and I stayed off of it as much as I could with 3 chickadees running around.  I solicited advice from running friends, Facebook friends, and running forums. I was doing everything that could be done except go to the doctor. Having had it once before I was pretty familiar with it and I knew that it took time to heal.  But things weren't getting better, in fact they were getting worse. After more scouring numerous running blogs, forums, websites, I was pretty sure what I really had was a stress fracture in my heel. I went to the doctor last week. She said my foot was swollen and prescribed the same routines I had already in place...but she thought it was more than plantar fasciitis as well and sent me to x-ray. I haven't gotten the results yet (I really need to e-mail her, it's been almost a week), and it suggested I forgo the race and running for a while.

I am pretty disappointed. I was looking forward to running it and obtaining a new personal record (PR).  I had worked really hard, which is ironic because I think I worked too hard which is how I hurt my foot. I ran too fast too early in my training. Now I know. Ugh. Hard lesson learned.

While I wait for my foot to heal, I will be staying off the treadmill and not run for a while. I have to change my work-out routine to replace all my treadmill time and cardio interval class time with spinning. And if I can swing it, maybe some swimming. Thank goodness the outdoor pool opens up next weekend!

I still went to the race to cheer for my brother-in-law.  His family came down and I was able to spend some extra time with my Hubby's sister and my nephews and niece. Even though I didn't get to run, I had fun. Even though I did not get to make a PR, my brother-in-law did. Great job, E!

I'll try again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment