Thursday, September 30, 2010

Proverbs 31 (Part III)

It's raining buckets and buckets at this exact moment. I love days like these if we have nothing scheduled. The kids seem to be content snuggling, reading, or watching a little "chee-vee."  But today is not one of those days. Boogie has preschool in a few hours and we'll be trekking out in the rain to take him and then coming back for his first monthly pre-school sing, which is pretty darn cute.  Buggy has dance class tonight and I know she's looking forward to it, especially after watching her try to mimic some of the dance moves from this week's Dancing with the Stars episode.  It will be a fun day, but a very wet one!

Yesterday was a better day. I put things in perspective and I rolled merrily along.  Today will be a little tougher, in only that I got up later, and we things going on today which will make it difficult to get too much done.  I'll be asleep when my head hits the pillow tonight.

Here is my take on the second part of Proverbs 31:

16 She considers a field and buys it of out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
   ---For me this is like looking at the possible private schools the kids may be attending now and in the future. I would like for them to go to a school that shares the same religious and moral beliefs that we hold at home. I'm not against public schools as I'm a product of public schools and I dedicated 8 years of my life teaching in them. I just would like my kids to go to a place where they can talk about God and pray when they need or want to.  So I'm earning money here and there and saving up so that my kids can attend a school that I think is suitable for them...


17  She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.
   ---I try to work hard and get things done and get things knocked off my to-do list.  I'm not feeling so strong these days as I can't do as much as I want to do. But at least my arms and lap are strong enough to hold, hug, and snuggle my children. That's probably the most important work I do all day.


18-19  She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night.  In her hands she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
   ---I would like my writing to be profitable some day (or even now). If you or if you know of someone who is looking for a witty writer and would like my voice and style...hook me up! But seriously, I enjoy writing and I hope that I can provide for my family in this way.  On another note, and in the meantime, I seriously considering setting up an ETSY site for my baby blankets. Anyone have any thoughts (good, bad, or otherwise) on that?  Has anyone set up an ETSY site. What do you think?


20  She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.
  ---One of my favorite things that I do each year is ask for donations to a local pregnancy for my daughter's birthday.  We kind of take the Hobbit approach and prefer to give gifts on our children's birthdays. Buggy's birthday has been designated for a pregnancy center and we ask for diapers, wipes, onesies, etc.  I feel like we are teaching her to be giving and I love that someone else will benefit from Buggy's birthday. We are so blessed to have her and to be able to provide for her.  If I can crotchet fast enough, Buggy and a recipient from the pregnancy center will be receiving one of my handmade blankets next month.


21-22 When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet.  she makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
   ---Not so much in scarlet but definitely layered for the cold.  Me, not so much in fine linen and purple, but in what I think as a mom's wardrobe...jeans, t-shirt, and running shoes...who knows when I'll have to chase down one of my stray kids who heads into the road.  But we're comfortable and happy and ready for whatever comes our way. My favorite for the family on snowy days is having us all in our fleece pajamas enjoying hot cocoa and time together. Definitely wonderful!


How are you feeling about your motherly duties. I'm finding that this verse is forcing me to look at all the  good things I do for my family. So even on my worst days, I can look back and say, "Yeah, I do provide. I just do it in my own way."  Here's to wishing you all another peaceful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment